Discover an essential piece of Dutch history at the mills in Kinderdijk, a UNESCO World Heritage site known for its unique collection of working windmills.
What to Expect at the Kinderdijk Windmills?
- Impressive Mill Complex: Kinderdijk is home to 19 beautifully preserved windmills, built around 1740 as part of a larger water management system to prevent flooding.
- Mill Visits: Explore the interiors of some of these historic mills and discover how millers lived and worked in these Dutch icons.
- Fascinating History: Learn about the ingenious techniques used in the Netherlands for land reclamation and water management, a country that largely lies below sea level.
- Beautiful Nature and Landscapes: Enjoy walks and bike rides through the picturesque surroundings with its waterways, dikes, and, of course, the famous mills.
- Interactive Visitor Centers: The visitor centers offer interactive exhibitions on the history and significance of these unique mills.
- Top Attractions: Highlights of Kinderdijk include:
- The authentic miller's houses that provide a glimpse into life in the 18th century.
- The opportunity to see a real miller at work and learn more about the miller's craft.
- The photogenic landscapes that are perfect for photography enthusiasts.
Discover the Timeless Charm of Dutch Windmills
The Kinderdijk Windmills offer a unique opportunity to experience and understand the Dutch struggle against water.
For information:Nederwaard 5, Kinderdijk
tel. +31 786 912 830